"When asked how many women have ever been democratically elected as a president or prime minister, 66 percent believed there had been less than 10. In fact, there have been more than 50. Iceland, for example, had a woman president for 16 years. Ireland has had women presidents consecutively elected for decades. In the Netherlands Antilles, five female prime ministers have held office. Switzerland has been led by two women presidents." Kim ManceCheck out these names:
- The Right Honourable Helen Clark, Prime Minister, New Zealand
- Her Excellency Tarja Halonen, President, Finland
- Her Excellency Emily Saidy de Jongh-Elhage, Prime Minister, Netherlands Antilles
- The Most Honourable Portia Simpson Miller, Prime Minister, Jamaica
- Her Excellency Dr. Vaira Vike-Freiberga, President, Latvia (1999-2007)
It is really encouraging to see this long list of women that are role models for other women. Dr. Lee Haines completed a book (started by his wife) listing a history of Women in Ministry in The Wesleyan Church called "Celebrate Our Daughters." Check it out. "This book honors and celebrates the daring women who have contributed much throughout the years to The Wesleyan Church." There are more of us than you think!